What are you doing on Saturday 12 September? Hopefully putting an entry into the Wendens Ambo Fruit and Vegetable Show brought to you by FOWAC.
So many of us are spending so much time in the garden, growing vegetables and being creative this year, it would be great to come together to celebrate the fruits of our labour. The event will be open to everyone and feature a variety of competitions – garden produce, baking and children’s craft.
The show will be held in the centre of the village and we’ll let you know precisely where as soon as we know too!
10.00am to 12.00 Submission of entries
12.00 noon Judging
2.00pm Exhibits open
3.00pm Prize giving
Entry Fee: 25p per entry per class
Venue: Centre of the village, exact location to be confirmed
The inaugural Wendens Ambo fruit and veg show has come about due to increased interest in growing things in our gardens this year and a desire to do something for our wonderful community. We are starting off keeping it simple but if the event is successful we would love to see this ‘grow’ in future years. We do hope that you will be able to take part in many of our growing, floristry, baking, or children’s craft categories or come down to appreciate Wendeners’ talents when the show opens at 2pm.
We will of course be monitoring changes to Government guidelines to ensure we can go ahead safely.
- All classes open to all Wendeners unless specified
- Entries to be from own garden/allotment or village verges
- Longest Runner Bean
- Largest Onion
- Heaviest Courgette plus longest courgette
- Largest Potato
- Longest Carrot
- Other vegetable – anything else you would like to show
- Largest Apple
- Selection of three apples
- Selection of any other fruit – min. 3 /max 5
Flowers and Foliage:
- Arrangement of five stems of same flower
- Arrangement of any flowers / foliage in a teacup
- Arrangement of herbs in a jam jar
- Men’s Baking. Recipe tbc.
- 3 cheese scones as per recipe (see last page). Open to women only
Under 16 years old Classes:
This will be in two age groups
- Up to and including 10 years old
- 11 to 16 years old inclusive
- “Veggie Creature” to be made of any vegetables up to max dimension 0.5metre cube. Vegetables can be from any source
- A miniature garden. No larger than a seed tray
- Up to 3 cupcakes on a plate. Decoration of own design
- Painted Stone
These will be small tokens only. This event is for the fun of it and pride. Children will win a few sweets. If this event is repeated in the future, we’re sure that fun prizes can be developed like only Wendens knows how.
Other things to note
We are hoping to have some other stalls for fun on the day depending on Government guidelines.
Refreshments will be available.
A FOWAC raffle will be taking place – please give generously
If possible, please have exact change on the day. We will be able to take contactless donations using bank cards.
Please bring your own hand sanitiser and abide by Government guidelines regarding social distancing.
Men Only recipe: tbc
Women Only recipe – Cheese Scone
60g (2oz) butter
250g (8oz) self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
125g (4oz) grated mature cheddar cheese
½ tsp dry mustard
About 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- Lightly butter a large baking tray
- Sift flour, mustard and baking powder into bowl. Rub in butter with the fingertips so mixture resembles breadcrumbs Mix in 2/3 of the cheese
- In measuring jug break the egg and make up to 150ml with milk. Beat together. Add to flour mix in bowl and mix into a dough
- Lightly knead until smooth. Roll out to 1cm (½”) thick. Cut into rounds with 3” pastry cutter.
- Put scones onto buttered baking tray and brush with milk and top with remaining cheese
- Bake in preheated over at 220c / 200c fan / Gas 7 for about 10 minutes until risen and golden.